Edinburgh, Scotland, UK. 20 May 2021.
Pictured: Seen outside the Scottish Parliament, Sean Clerkin, Campaign Coordinator of the Scottish Tennants Association, seven with fellow protestors demanding action now form the Scottish Government with a large yellow banner which reads, “END HOMELESSNESS NOW”.
Credit: Colin Fisher/CDFIMAGES.COM
Dear First Minister,
We are demanding that as the COVID-19 Pandemic is ongoing and the real financial difficulties tenants find themselves in that a two year eviction ban be put in place along side strong rent controls for all tenants in Scotland.
Your response to me was full of platitudes about the homeless and not recognising the crisis in homelessness we face. People have lost their jobs, the furlough is coming to an end and the £20 temporary uplift to universal credit is ending soon and yet you make it clear that the temporary regulations governing the temporary ban on evictions in both the public and private sectors in Scotland will now only apply to levels 3 and 4 areas for COVID -19 because as of today Monday 17th May 2021 all areas of Scotland go back to level 2 on the mainland and level 1 in the islands meaning that Private and Social Landlords can now evict poverty stricken tenants. This is unacceptable as the Scottish Government has to immediately amend the regulations to extend eviction protection to all tenants in Scotland.
We will be engaging in a major PROTEST at the Scottish Parliament this Thursday 20th May 2021 at 12 noon calling for the following measures to rid Scotland of homelessness:
- to implement a 2 year ban on all evictions for rent arrears and to implement comprehensive rent controls for all tenants
- the building of at least 37,100 socially rented homes during the next five years
- to fully implement the Unsuitable Accommodation Order so that 14,151 households including 8,000 children are put in safe, secure and warm temporary accommodation that meets their needs until they are given
- All rights reserved. All Rights copyright control of Colin D Fisher
- Image Size
- 5304x3536 / 3.8MB
- Contained in galleries
- Sean Clerkin calls on Scot Gov to End Homelessness Now, Edinburgh, 20 May 2021